By Jensen, Randy on May 16, 2020.
Football Alberta as been forced to cancel the majority of its provincial team programs for the summer of 2020.
Football Canada announced Friday all events Football Alberta teams would have been participating in this summer have been cancelled due to the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Football Canada events that have been cancelled as of Friday include:
– Flag Western Under 16 Regional, Aug. 1-3 in Winnipeg;
– Flag Eastern Under 16 Regional, Aug. 9-13 in Charlottetown, P.E.I.;
– Flag National Under 18 and Under 20 Championships, Aug. 9-13 in Charlottetown;
– The U16 Western Challenge, July 11-17 at Abbotsford, B.C.;
– The U16 Eastern Challenge, July 13-18 at Sackville, N.B.; and
– The U18 Canada Cup national championship, July 18-26 at UBC’s Thunderbird Stadium at Vancouver.
The women’s national championship originally scheduled for July 30-Aug. 7 in Sherwood Park has been postponed. Football Canada will continue to evaluate opportunities to reschedule in the fall or winter.
For Football Alberta it means the women’s provincial team is on hold, while the tackle and flag provincial teams at the U18 and U16 levels are cancelled. The U17 tackle provincial team that was slated to go to Maui in August is also cancelled due to the uncertainty of international travel as well as the situation in Hawaii where their high school football season is going to be contracted with no exhibition games allowed.
Meanwhile, the decision of football being able to go at the minor and high school levels this fall remains in limbo. Like other sports Football Alberta has submitted a return to play plan for consideration at the ministry level in Alberta but will continue to adhere to the guidance from Alberta Health Services until they approve any reopening plan that could see us on field in the late summer or fall.